Finnish dating ABC

Anticipation. If you haven’t already Googled, stalked on Instagram or spied on Facebook, cancel the date and let a Finn out of his/her misery. You are not that into us. It is not nice to play with food.

Bridezilla. There is a 90% chance you will get a bridezilla, if you plan to marry a Finnish woman. There is no way of pointing out the 10% which are not, before you kneel down. There is a 100% chance you will be a bridezilla, if you marry a Finnish man.

Cuddles. There are no restrictions to PDA in Finland. That’s most likely because they are so rare. We generally show very little physical (and verbal) proofs of our love.

Darkness. We are a bit sombre. Best way to check the level of our darkness is to ask about our music taste. If there is Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, prepare for a Finnish metal heart.

Effective dating. Finns tend to date only one person at a time. If you are dating several people and keeping your options open, please don’t let us know and keep it really casual with us.

Fakeness. Finns despise fakeness and we can smell it miles away. You don’t need a big car or boobies to get our attention.

Gig or movie. A good place for first date with a Finn. Check “Muteness” for the reason.

House. The ultimate love testimony is when a Finn starts building a house for his or her family. Also heavy renovation can be counted in here. Unfortunately, this also leads to ultimate amount of fights.

Inferno. Dating inferno for a Finn is when some old relatives ask relationship status in front a large group of people.

Jester. See  Jester on a second date if the first date was not completely awful. Finns often use jokes to hide insecurity. You can find a prince behind this mask.

Kulta. The most common way to say Dear in Finnish. We are quite creative with nicknames so your sweetheart can come up with a much more personal name for you.

Late. Finns are very clock-aware. If we are running late more than 5 minutes late, we let the other person know. Not whatsupping sorry and new time slot for arrival is rude.

Muteness. We Finns are at no point of their lives taught to small talk! If a Finn is quiet that doesn’t mean anything negative. Try wine, tequila or absinthe, if the situation is desperate.

Nibbling. We just love to try out food from another person’s plate. We women do it sometimes even on a first date, so accept it or be ready to fight for your right to have all the food on your plate. If you have a Finnish man-nibbler, set clear rules to how much you want to eat. If you don’t, your food (especially candies) may disappear within seconds.

Oneway openness. What is funny is that Finns rarely ask you questions when they are getting to know you. On the other hand, if you ask us anything, no matter how difficult or straight question it might be, you always get an honest answer without blinking an eye.

Politeness. This is kit mint to Finns as we have no please in our language. When you are being normal, we think you are flirting with us. Personally, as a 16-year old au pair in Preston, I thought the whole town loved me because of those darlings and sweethearts at the end of the sentences.

Qwerty. Your Finn may be a nerd. That’s okay, we are cute and useful. Just make sure that computer games aren’t a passion, if they aren’t that to you.

Road trip. Finland is a long country so we are used to distances and driving. Pack snacks, good music and take your sweetie up north or to the coast line. We will love it.

Soulmate. Having yours, feels like riding a cotton candy unicorn, being a top-class brain surgeon and saving the world from all worries. This goes to any nationality.

Tab. We can go 50/50 but you are not a gentleman if you are not paying.

coffee-break-2

Upset. With us women, it is so damn easy. You can read it from our face with neon sign. With a Finnish guy, that poker face takes months to decipher.

Vegan. This mega trend just arrived to Finland. You can do a lot with this; annoy, make jokes, seek similarity or try to cook new dishes.

Xylitol. We chew so much gum that you don’t believe it! I know friends who have had to do a gum rehab for themselves to stop using it so much. What is the downside, you ask? Well, you get your jaw really tense and you fart around like a piglet.

Young. You do not ask a woman’s age in Finland if you are a man.

Zone. We Finns have a need of circular personal space about 1-1,5 m in radius. Step inside it unwanted  and a Finn will step backwards accordingly. This is nothing personal. It just takes time to make it to our comfort zone. When you’re in it, you stay there forever.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s